Welcome to Cooper City
Not until after the devastating floods of 1947-1948 did the government establish the Central and South Florida Flood Control District (1949) -- it was 50 years in the making.
In 1959, Cooper City's homes sold for $11,900 - $15,900. With the recession of 1962, those same homes sold for an average of $10,000. Today, Cooper City's homes average approximately $300,000 in value.
Morris Cooper advertised Cooper City for sale in the Wall Street Journal when the bottom fell out of the real estate market in the early 1960's. As we know by its continued name, there were no takers.
Tom McPherson, former State Senator, was the first popularly elected Mayor of Cooper City in 1963. Prior to that, the post was developer appointed.
Griffin Road was not paved until 1963. It was called Halloween Road because of its dips and potholes. Stirling Road was paved to 100th Avenue in 1967.
The first City Hall and Police Department were located in the present McPherson's Mini Mall where the convenience store and Johnny's Bar conduct business. The complex was designed by Robert House. The present City Hall complex was completed in 1974.
Cooper City maintained a Volunteer Fire Department until 1986. As late as 1971, it depended upon Davie's Volunteer Fire Department. In 1998, the Fire Department consisted of 36 certified fire fighters, all with EMT certification and 25 cross-trained as paramedics, 1 Fire Code Official, and 2 support personnel. On October 1, 1999, the City implemented its own Emergency Medical Service. On February 14, 2004, the Cooper City Police and Fire Departments merged with the Broward Sheriff's Office.
Information obtained from the City of Cooper City website:
Search Cooper City Homes for Sale
Today's Market Trends for Cooper City *
* All data pertains to single-family homes